Tuesday, May 19, 2009

In sacrament meeting on Sunday we had a talk on Ministering to the Widow and Lonely. So here is my confession. A year ago I found a note in our genealogy from Jeanette. She is Great Gma Kitty's niece. The address on the note was in a town right by us, so I decided I should see if she was still in the area. She was and only living about 10 miles from us. I went and visited with her and told her we would have her over to dinner. We than had to cancel that dinner a few times because it was at the same time Sally got sick. We then had the funeral and taking care of Ester. By the time this was done Nichelle's wedding was right around the corner. Needless to say I dropped the ball. I have been feeling guilty about that for the past few months but could not figure out a good excuse for dumping her and then just showing back up. Well, during the talk I got the feeling that enough was enough no more excuses!!! So for Family Home Evening last night we made her cookies and just showed up on her doorstep. You have to press a buzzer to get into her condo. We pushed the buzzer 3 times and waited and waited. She finally answered. It turned out it took her awhile because she did not know what the buzzer was. I guess it doesn't get used very often. We had a really nice evening with her. She has stopped driving because she is 88. We are now arranging making sure she gets groceries and has what she needs. They had no children so it is just her. If that doesn't qualify her as a lonely widow talked about by President Monson so often I do not know what does. This time we will follow the prophet and not drop the ball. There are just no excuses especially when we drive right by her house every few days anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment