I went to Oak Ridge Elementary, in Royal Oak, from kindergarten through 3rd grade. We ate at school and brought lunch boxes. My favorite school lunches at this school were the Hot Dog lunches. We got to eat in the classroom and you ordered hot dogs. I usually got 2..I thought I was so cool. They wrapped each cooked hot dog in foil to keep it warm. This gives it a very different taste...a little soggy yet delicious. Definitely not something you would get in a five star restaurant..or probably even a 1 star but I thought they were yummy!!
When I started at Roosevelt Elementary, in Ferndale, we went home for lunch every day. The best part of this was that we had time to go over to friends houses for lunch. Ok, not the best..the best was when we got to go out to eat at The Red Barn.
We thought we were so cool. Eating with no parents.
In Lincoln Jr High they had separate rooms for people who bought their lunch and people who brought it from home. The first time I went to buy lunch I was walking in the hall and accidentally tripped a big 8th grade boy. That scared me and embarrassed me....so I did not buy very often. I mostly brought lunch from home. My go to lunch was a jelly sandwich, because I hated peanut butter. I still do not like peanut butter sandwiches. The vice principal was always in this lunch room. He walked a round with a paddle hitting his hand. I guess it kept us in line because I don't remember anyone ever getting in trouble.
In 8th grade the closed down Lincoln and split us into two elementary schools that the converted to junior highs. I went To Best. They did not have kitchens at Best so they brought in these little warming ovens. We had TV dinners for lunch every day. They were a joke because it was always the same meat with a different sauce. So Salisbury Steak had a brown gravy and meatloaf had a reddish gravy. Since we were at an elementary school we got to play on the playground after lunch. We spent a lot of time on the swings.
At Ferndale High we had great lunches. There was a salad line and hamburger line everyday. I loved the salads as they always had a lot of topping choices and you always got a roll. They tasted homemade and were yummy. They also had two lines that had the lunch choice of the day. My favorite day in that line was turkey, mashed potatoes and a roll. When we were done eating we went up stairs and hung out in what we called the commons. It was a huge space with some benches and a candy machine that we all used daily!

No comments:
Post a Comment